As the cannabis industry continues to grow, so do cannabis cultivation techniques and technology, like lighting solutions. Currently, the most popular type of lighting system used in cannabis cultivation is LED lighting.
In all three stages of cannabis growth, which include propagation, vegetation, and flowering, LEDs are still the best solution. In 2021, a reported 69% of cultivators in the cannabis industry used LED lighting for propagation. Additionally, 62% of participants in the reported study used LEDs for vegetation and flowering. As LEDs continue to make cultivation more simple, the cannabis industry rapidly demonstrates its preference for technological advancements.
A modern way of farming, vertical racking systems for vegetation is a popular method in the cannabis industry nowadays. In 2021, 37% of reported participants used vertical rack systems for vegetation, and 21% used them for flowering. Due to lower costs and the possibility of a greater yield, both vertical racking and LED lighting are proving to be fantastic practices for cannabis growers to consider going forward.
Benefits of Using LED Grow Lights
Now, let’s go through the many benefits of using LED grow lights for a cultivation facility. When it comes to LEDs, you can grow more cannabis without using as much energy and heat. After making the switch to LED, you’ll probably never look back.
Instead of ample heat, LED grow lights produce more light and have a lower heat output compared to HID lights. By controlling excess heat, LEDs offer an ideal growth environment. Since LED lights are cooler and better for heat control, plants running under an LED crave warm temperatures. And for any naturally warm grow facilities, LEDs prove to be a suitable option.
Typically, lighting can be an expensive aspect of cannabis cultivation. If you are already facing a costly electrical bill for your cultivation facility, lighting may be the first thing to consider switching over. Because LEDs produce less heat and require less energy, they are guaranteed to last longer without overheating your plants.
Thanks to lower energy costs than traditional HID lighting, LEDs are more popular than ever. Most LED lights can save cultivators up to 50% in energy costs.
What To Consider When Choosing LED
In a cultivation facility, proper lighting is one of the most important things to consider.
When selecting a commercial LED light for your growing environment, focus on the following factors:
- Watt Output: Consider the output that your grow facility needs from an LED lighting system. For instance, if you are running a commercial grow facility, 400W may be your best bet.
- Heat: With efficient heat control, full-spectrum LEDs ensure that your indoor grow facility maintains a proper temperature.
- Light Spectrum: When in doubt, consider purchasing full-spectrum, blue LEDs for optimal results throughout the growth process.
- Wavelength: Adjustable or full-spectrum LED lights offer a wide range of wavelengths to benefit your plants at every stage of growth.
- Electricity Consumption: The more you spend on a premium lighting system now, the lower your electricity bill will cost in the future.
- Growing Space & Footprint Coverage: Be sure to measure your grow facility before determining the number of LEDs you will need. You will want your lighting system to cover your plants properly.
- Materials & Durability: To avoid constantly changing your cultivation setup, research high-quality LED grow lights. When your lighting system is high quality, you likely will not have to replace it for many years.
- Budget: Not all lights have to be expensive. Think about your budget by choosing the LED lighting system that works best for your grow facility.
Why Doesn’t Everyone Use LEDs?
Many people become daunted by the introductory costs of LEDs, but there is nothing to fear. With an innovative, cost-effective LED lighting system, your return on investment (ROI) goes a long way. Compared to traditional lighting, LED wastes less energy, offers customization for your needs, and lacks chemicals found in traditional bulbs.
As there are plenty of modern benefits to LED lighting, it would not be a bad time to consider making the switch for your cultivation facility. Vulcan Construction Group will work with you directly to ensure that any lighting renovations in your facility run smoothly.
Installing LED Cultivation Systems
In the cannabis industry, installing a premium lighting system is crucial. That’s why the time to consider installing LED lighting in your cultivation facility is now. At Vulcan Construction Group, we are happy to assist you with creating a proper investment plan for an innovative, accessible LED lighting system. If you think you are ready to make the exciting switch to LED lighting for your cultivation facility, contact Vulcan Construction Group today!